Thursday, July 26, 2012

Toolbox Makeover!

I finished another item off of my 'Summer To-Do List'. I made the toolbox that has been floating around everyones blogs and on Pinterest.  I got together with my kindergarten team (there are 8 of us) and we all made a toolbox! Let me tell you, it took longer than I thought so it was great to have company!!
First, I bought the toolbox at Home Depot. I couldn't find it at first (I don't really ever look that hard...I would rather just ask!), so I showed a guy that worked there a picture of it from Pinterest. When he took me to the correct isle I thought 'no way this is definitely not it!' It is WAY smaller then it looks in pictures! So weird! But a great size for your desk and will still do the job :)
I took it home and sprayed it with primer and with some pink spray paint. If you are going to paint yours--make sure you get the glossy spray paint! I got the matte because I didn't even think of it, so I still have to go back and spray some glossy spray paint on top. 
It didn't take that long to dry and we were ready to start working. I first opened up these pre-made editable labels that I found on TPT for FREE. Then, I changed some of the words to better fit what I needed and I changed the font to 'Cheri' which is a free font if you google it :) 
The labels were on 4 different pages, so I chose 4 different colors of card stock to print them out on. After they were printed, I cut the labels out...
Then one of the teachers brought some super cute ribbon and scrapbook paper to decorate these labels with before we put them in our toolbox. Since my main theme in my classroom is polka dots, that is what I pretty much stuck to!
When I was finished with all of the labels I put a little bit of tape at the top and bottom to help them stick into the drawers better and WA-LA....
I love how it turned out and can't wait to be organized even better this year!! 

26 comments:

  1. It turned out great. I love all the colors you chose and the accents to go with them :) Great job.

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heidi - this looks so neat and pretty. The ribbon is a good look for it. Everytime I see these I want one more and more...
    -Carol
    Mrs. Cobb's Kinder Sprouts
    Come enter my poster printing giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip about the glossy spray paint! I really want to make one of these! I LOVE yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your tool kit! Might be one of my favorite ones yet!! Turned out great!

    Erin
    Creating & Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours came out AMAZING!!! Super cute!!!
    You're making me WANT one!!! :)

    ❤ Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bright colors you used!
    Kate
    http://funinecse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great!

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely looks really cute! I agree with the size thing... I thought they were bigger than what was in the store so I passed by it several times until I realized, "Oh hey, that's it!" Love your style!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    I'm having a 2-0-0 follower giveaway - come on by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have got to get me one of those toolboxes! They just look so super! I am a new follower. I'd like to pass along an award to you. Hop on over to my blog to claim it!

    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I am your newest follower...I teach in South Florida too!

    Julie
    msshopesclass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your toolbox makeover, especially the hot pink paint!! Makes me want to redo my toolbox because you make it look so easy!

    Cheers To School

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it amazing how a little strip of spotty ribbon can take something to a whole new level???
    This looks brilliant - love the splash of hot pink...
    ✿ Judy
    teaching with J

    ReplyDelete
  13. wahoo! That is AWESOME!! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! You did a great job & I'm sure it was more fun working with your teacher friends!
    :)

    ~ Lisa
    Teaching Kindergarten Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought the toolbox was much smaller too. But I'm sure it will be the perfect size. I haven't made mine yet, but I better get going on it soon.

    Yours came out so cute.
    Ms. Fiorini’s Stadium

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Awesome directions. So cute.
    I pinned it because I now want to make one too.
    KindergartenLove.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! I have a teacher's toolbox with 3 drawers but I really want to get one like this..thnkas for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is super cute...i love the homemade factor and being able to choose the colors that speaks your personality!!! this project might have to wait for me...getting close to that time of year to get out and buy all those supplies for the classroom...yikes!

    love the font, colors & spray paint choice! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought mine today and had done the same thing you did! Couldn't find it, was looking in the tool section for some ad tall as I am! Finally asked someone and showed her my cell phone image. Couldn't believe how small but it should work great. Yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE it!! I'm so nervous about spray painting it!! I'm afraid it wont go on easy :-/ Be honest...was it hard spray painting it or did it go on even and everything... I love yours! Want to come and just spray paint mine? haha :)
    Mrs. Wilson's Class

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is sooo cute! I went to Home Depot tonight and couldn't find this, nor could I find it online. Would you mind posting a link or just the brand name so I can search for it on Amazon? I bought one from Lowes tonight but none of the drawers are long enough for dry erase markers, ink pens, or high lighters... things I definitely need in my tool box! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete