Monday, December 9, 2013

Gingerbread!

My kids always LOVE reading any story about Gingerbread! I have The Gingerbread Boy, The Gingerbread Girl, The Gingerbread Man, The Gingerbread Bear, The Gingerbread Pirates, The Gingerbread Baby, Gingerbread Friends, The Gingerbread Cowboy, and I could literally go on, and on!! The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School, The Gingerbread Loose on the Fire Truck, and The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers. Okay I am sure you get it....hahaha I have an obsession with buying books and the gingerbread books are fun!!
We spent a lot of time last week completing story maps and really comparing and contrasting the story lines and characters in the different stories. My kids also enjoyed lots of gingerbread themed centers!

Just like the gingerbread man, their sight words escaped! The students had to look around the room to find their words and record them. 
 When they were done, they had to use some of their words in sentences on the back.
 We are also working on simple addition facts right now. In this simple math center, students had to roll two dice, add the numbers up, and dot that number on their page.
 They also put their numbers in order counting by 5s and recorded them. This was our first time doing this at a center (even though we count by 5s and 10s during calendar everyday) and they did beautifully!
At their writing center they worked on labeling. This may be the last month that I let them cut out the words and glue them on. They are definitely more than ready to start writing the words on their own! I will provide a word bank for those that need it!
 They just love when I take pictures of their work, so I had to snap a few!
 I love when they are proud of themselves for doing an amazing job!!
 I also had students writing CVC words at the word work center. They are doing this completely independently now which is awesome! So this is another center that may be 'retired' soon! Time to move on!
Today we packed up, printed our boarding passes, and prepared our passports! We are ready to start traveling the world tomorrow! I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like your kiddos had so much fun with these centers!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great activities! I really liked your labeling in the writing center and the cvc work in the word work center. They are doing great!!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete